Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Funfetti

Word of the day: Mountain Air: a lipsyncing competition I'll be taking part in this Friday. I'm in a group that's doing "Seize the Day" from The Newsies and it's a lot more work than I thought it would be.

I'm sacrificing precious time to blog. I also find it an alternative to doing schoolwork.

Thursday afternoon, I got a last minute request to babysit. I thought "ok, no problem". Well, it was the five child family again. SUPER cute kids, but SUPER crazy kids. It wasn't worth it. It especially wasn't worth it when I got back to school and realized that, for five kids for five hours last minute (yeah, it was almost 1 am when I got back), I was only paid $6 an hour. Cute kids or not, it isn't worth it--that's below minimum wage.

Do you know why Friday was amazing? It was amazing because both of my afternoon classes were cancelled. I had so much time to do things!

Put yourself in this scene: 2:30 am. Just fell asleep. Suddenly there is a terrifying rumble outside in the hallway. In your dream, there was an earthquake. Then there's a pounding on your door and someone shouts "GET UP GET UP GET UP!!!" You jolt up and look at your roommate, who's standing up, staring at the door. She promptly walks over and locks it. You grumble incoherently to yourself and throw your head back down on the pillow, cursing the boys who you know weren't allowed to be on the hall.

The next day, we found out that those boys had also taken a boy from Sutherland, saran wrapped him to a chair in his boxers, spray painted him gold, and left in front of a girl's door.

Needless to say, I was very cranky when I woke up at 7 am for Love Chattanooga service project. However, those of us who went had a pretty good time. I learned how to work a lawn mover and a weed whacker, ruined a pair of pants, and got very sore.

Saturday night, the Fritz went to the drive-in to see How to Train Your Dragon and Bounty Hunter. First: excellent. Alyssa and I cuddled and said "awww" the whole time. Second: not so good. Lisa and I sat on the rood of her car and made fun of it. A lot of snacks and Ke$ha happened that night.

Sunday was interesting. I took Janessa ( a Uganda team member) to church and finally told the women's Sunday school class that I was going to Uganda this summer. Worship was a little hard, as someone I had asked not to come to New City decided to ignore me and come to church with his girlfriend anyway....not good for me, I was shaking while trying to worship God. Let's take a guess at who this was....ANYHOW after that, Janessa and I went to Move for Uganda, a thing in Coolidge park. While we were there, a Ugandan man sat a bunch of us down in the makeshift schoolhouse and explained the history of the war to us. Fascinating stuff.

That night I went to Esty's house for dinner. It was delicious and WONDERFUL. There is nothing better to a college student than getting to go to a home and eat home-cooked food. My alternative was Skettios. Before dinner, Ethan and Graham tried to shoot Esty and me. "Stit em up!!" Esty tried to explain that when someone puts their hands up, you don't shoot them. It didn't work out so well. After dinner, I read Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (my favorite children's book) to the boys for my field placement project for Kiddie Lit. We also found hidden pictures in a Cars book.

I don't think I realized how much I missed Leila and Anna until I didn't see them for a week....Monday, we jumped on the trampoline and read outside at piano lessons. Anna and I are really beginning to get along, and it's nice. She only threw one fit on Monday.

Tuesday = assessment day = day off. Actually, it = more busy day than usual. I still had to get up early for practical service, but it was still worth it. After that, Mountain Air began to consume my life.

I hold to the phrase "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

This weekend, The Fritz is going to Lisa's house and we're all going to chill on the lake boat on Saturday. I'm breaking out the bikini and it will be FABULOUS!

Remember back in January when I said I was beginning to rewrite a story from ninth grade? No, you don't. That's ok. Here's the problem. I'm at 128 pages (not bad for three months, eh?) and almost finished. But everything is beginning to pile up now. I just want to finish so I can actually pay attention to schoolwork, but that's very, very hard. I just want six hours in a quiet room where I can finish. School decided it didn't want me to do this.

Kiddie Lit decided to make everything due at the end of the year.

OH YEAH. I got shots on Monday. Yellow Fever and Typhoid. Christina Klukow and I got lost several times on the way there and back and I'm so glad I took her. Now understand, normally I freak out at shots--real bad. But these shots barely even hurt on the way in (thank you nurse!) and afterwards Christina and I got huge frosties from Wendy's, turning my negative experience into a positive one. However, my arm wanted to fall off for the next two days.

My cousin Jeremiah sent me a Uganda check today with a post-it note on it. "This is to use on your trip to Uganda. -Jeremiah". I love my man-relatives.

Glee started up again yesterday and my roommate made thirty funfetti cupcakes to celebrate. Speaking of my roommate, it's roommate, it's Roommate Appreciation Day, and I just want to say ROOMMATE I APPRECIATE YOU!!!!

Alyssa just brought back delicious cake from Esty....mmmm.....

Song of the week: Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. Why has this song been stuck in my head lately? Because everything is starting to come full circle. This time last year was when the heartbreak process began...and because I'm in the same place where it happened, I'm going down memory lane all over again. "Oh, that's where I was sitting when he called. That was the ringtone that went off. That was the blanket I used when I tried to lie in the hallway because I was afraid to go to sleep in my bed and dream about it.....etc." However, come July 10th, this process should be over. Everything will have been over a year ago by then and I will have replaced those memories. Maybe. And then maybe I'll stop blogging about it altogether. Now wouldn't that be nice?

1 comment:

  1. Happy to have provided food for the Poor, Starving College Student I Heart TWICE this week.
    * also, yes -the memory replacement will totally work. So will buying a boat, moving to Gay ParEE (Paris, adopting a unicorn and flying over the rainbow. So totally do those things, too. Honestly, baby the memories sadly enough will get less sad but will remain -the good news? One Day when I hear about your wedding to a godly, handsome Man I will ask you about those memories and you will only give peals of laughter as a response. What God will give to you, His Daughter will be SO BEYOND a hurtful boy. It'll be a romance of a lifetime. xoxox Esty

    ReplyDelete