Friday, November 12, 2010

Famous and Not on Drugs. I'm a Rarity.

Serious music makes me feel serious.

That's not entirely truthful.

It's Friday night. How did I spend it? I helped a lady clean her house. Then I came back and did homework. Everyone else went places like the mall or the movies, and I'm the cool kid who did productive things that will one day benefit society and especially me. For example, one day when that mom and her family are rich and famous, they will remember me and pull some strings to make me rich and famous also. And, more plausibly, doing homework will help me get a degree, which will get me a job as a teacher and I will become rich and famous on my own (that may actually be less plausible)! I have a really great montage going on in my mind right now.

Teacher Laura (holding trophy on stage): "I would like to thank everyone that helped me get this Oscar. My family who believed in me, my loyal friends, that *$%$*#%&$*&% Dewey paper I spent endless hours working on in order to graduate, and my beloved and slightly bratty fifth graders who helped me launch my rich-and-famous....teaching...career.
People in audience begin to whisper, "Wait, she went to college? She isn't really an actress? Why is she here?!?!


*ahem*

Word of the day: John Dewey. He is the word (haha...word up, Dewey-boy!) until November 30th. Yes, right after Thanksgiving. Thank you, Dr. Kauffman. Or Kaufmann. I can never remember. 

I seem to have acquired a new identity this week--"Baba Larve". It was acquired in two parts. The first, "Larve", is a combination of my first and last name and makes me sound like a nasty swamp insect-monster. The second came about like this: We were in Barnes and Noble last week and Alyssa made me read the fairytale Baba Yaga in a Russian accent. So 2 + 2 = "Baba Larve". And what does Baba Larve wear? A turban with a long sequined Russian skirt of wisdom. She also stuffs her bosom and stomach with plastic bags. Sometimes my roommate claims I do drugs....but I don't. I'm not sure where she gets this idea. Baba Larve would be absolutely terrifying on crack cocaine. 

I draw this little cartoon character named Fuzzymunch when I'm bored in class, and he is all that I aspire to be and more. But sometimes I do think he does drugs. 


The PCA Global Missions Conference was last weekend. Our church choir sang in it (I only sing in the choir because they let me dance onstage which I'm singing. Like Fuzzymunch. Good ole Gospel choir) and it was awesome. Going to a missions conference made me think about going overseas again. Until a couple weeks ago, I thought my life after graduation would go like this:

1) Get a master's degree. 
2) Teach. 
3) Get an apartment and four cats and three dogs. Or less than that. 
4) Eventually have children...with a man. 
5) Live....somewhere.

But I figured out that getting your master's too early is a bad idea for education majors, so now maybe I'll go teach overseas for a bit. I can't forget that last summer in Uganda was hard, even though it was a blessing. Being single overseas is not fun...here it's not so bad, there you just get lonely and gape at any American male who crosses your path. Leaving family for a long time isn't fun either, but since my plan next summer is to stay home, I'm hoping I'll be sick enough of my family after four months with them to last me another two years. 

I got a bad sunburn this week after doing a project outside for two hours. It's November, folks. Sunburns are NOT in style. 

I learned this week that off-campus college students live off of cheap food like corndogs and funfetti. And, when they get really desperate, the occasional spear-hunted mouse. (the last one has yet to be visually confirmed) 

Four of the paragraphs in this blog began with the word "I". Narcissist, much?

I spent a lot of this week contemplating things that aren't in my control. Not that I'm a total control freak, but I am a fixer (as are most women, it seems). But this verse was my favorite (we'll make it verse of the week):

"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." 
--Psalm 139:16

I love the fact that God knows what he's doing, because I sure as heck don't. He even has everything written down in a planner...man, this guy is organized....

1 comment:

  1. I am fresh out of words. You are figuring life out with Jesus all by your lonesome, imagine that. ;) Keep your eyes gazing upward occassionally (not while walking across campus - I know you are a touch klutzy like me) and He is going to illuminate you, I think. Master's or not. He has a Big Plan for you, Laura Lovely Girl. Just BE. miss you! xoxox E

    ReplyDelete