NomNom Day. I'm a genius.
Maybe we'll talk for a second about 20 things that make me happy. Well, that and some other stuff. Thanks-stuff. OOH. Thanks-Stuffing Day! It works so well!
1) Food.
2) Family.
3) The fact that my sister has practiced the flute since last time I was here.
4) Slow internet connection that makes me spend more time with my family before ten pm.
5) Pretty hair and mirrors (I'm not vain. I'm not.....Ok, maybe a little. But only a little. I'm only vain when good songs come on the radio. And there are mirrors. And I'm dancing. And I have good hair. Ok...)
6) Staying in the house for two days straight. I may not be thankful for that tomorrow.
7) Did you know that "hole" and "whole" are homonyms and antonyms at the same time? Yeah, I just figured that out.
8) My dog. She's old. She might be dead soon. She stinks and I'll miss her.
9) Fuzzymunch. He and I agree on a lot of points.
10) My roommate. I don't know anybody who has ever made me laugh more or who I could live with for such a long period of time without blowing up...I may be setting myself up for failure here. Shh. Let's forget I said anything. I don't want a fight before Christmas. (yeah, in this picture she WAS making wings out of paper bags. Don't worry about it.)
11) Deodorant.
12) Movies that make you think. Actually, I kind of hate those.
13) Choices. I hate those too, but they increase one's thinking abilities. See above.
14) The ability to one day have children. Yay uterus!
15) Children's books.
16) Chacos. I put mine away for the winter and I've been crying every day since. I've also been writing them love letters, as those are my only real connection to them while they are gone. Dear chacos, I miss you more than anything. You have been my most faithful companions since the moment I put you on and my heart is crying because we can't be together right now. Just know that I grow more fond of you each day. See you in a few short months, my Sweetiemunchkin and Honeyboobear. We'll be together as soon as shorts come back in fashion. Miss you more than you know, your Lovepeach.
17) You know, I might be insane. --Also thankful for that fact.
18) Dress-up clothes.
19) Carpets, a blessing and a curse.
20) Homemade frappuccinos.
There are really a lot of things to be thankful for. It's been quite a year. There are all the big external things that I did--going to Africa, working with foreign university students, writing that #@$&@#*$ Dewey paper, etc--and then there are all these little things, like growing closer to my family, having an incredible (not perfect, but pretty cool) roommate, and owning a car. I found that there's a lot to appreciate after you've spent a few months in Uganda.
Then there are all those things that hurt but are good and prove that God is in control. Things like people leaving you, making the choice to forgive when it's hard (and not always succeeding, but actively working on it), trying to figure out how to reach out to hurting friends, making grown-up decisions, and doing all those things that I will have to keep doing for the rest of my life. Things that I know will get harder.
One of my friends lost her sister this year, and it's been so hard to watch her struggle through the grief. She's an inspiration. She's made me appreciate my sister so much more, even though my sister is pesky and rambles about boys sometimes...ok, all the time...but I am so blessed to have a family without a hole in it. I don't take that for granted.
There's this great song by Taylor Swift called "Never Grow Up". It makes me cry. I'm not ready, I've never been ready, to grow up. There's something in me that will never grow up--that's why I'm going to be a teacher. But I'm almost there--ADULTHOOD (well, kind of there. I'm not calling it that until I'm out of college, because being in college, or at least not in my own house yet, doesn't count). It's exciting, it's cool, and it's terrifying. God's got it, I know he does, but I always go back to that moment when I was ten, lying in my bed, clutching my panda and crying because one day I would have to move away and go to college and leave my toys behind. Well, mom got rid of a lot of the toys behind my back and I did go to college, but in a few years the high school trophies and silly pictures on these bedroom walls will all be put away and this room will not be the same place I used to play princess in.
*sigh*
Then again, I might not notice so much because I will be distracted by whatever else God has put in my life, like a pineapple farm, or twenty adopted children, or jetpacks.
And then, suddenly, I will be old and looking at heaven, going, "Land sakes alive, didn't I just graduate yestiddy?? What happened!? I growed up?---NAW! Oh LAWD!"
Nevermind. Growing up may not be that bad.
Happy NomNom Day!
ReplyDeleteUm, I love you.